Destination Management Plan
The Destination Management Plan [DMP] is an action plan for the whole partnership of organisations involved in delivering the visitor experience in Cumbria [as distinct from the Business Plan of Cumbria Tourism]. It sets out at a strategic level the aspirations and key actions of all the stakeholders with responsibility for delivery, or interest in the visitor economy. It covers the period from 2012-14 and will be refreshed every two years.
The DMP has been prepared following consultation and discussions with a wide range of stakeholders and partners across Cumbria.
The DMP for 2012-14 has been developed and revised to reflect the priorities for Cumbria over the next couple of years and to respond to current issues and opportunities. The DMP brings together in one place all the key actions for the visitor economy in the sub-region and, as such, is closely aligned to the priorities of Cumbria Local Economic Partnership, the County and District Councils and the National Park Authorities.
Cumbria Destination Management Plan, 2012-14
Cumbria Tourism is committed to working with and developing key Visitor Economy Clusters in Cumbria, across a range of geographical or sectoral themes and with a variety of public and private sector partners, including:
- Nurture Lakeland ~ promoting sustainable tourism and conservation through practical action and sponsorship
- Adventure Capital ~ working with the Outdoor Industry Working Group to market and promote, raise quality and increase the opportunities for sport, outdoor recreation and active leisure
- Japan Forum ~ targeted campaigns to attract the Japanese group travel market, in conjunction with visitor attractions, accommodation providers, tourism operators and transport providers
- Western Lake District Tourism Partnership ~ raising the profile and promoting the Western Lakes and Cumbrian coast as a visitor destination
- Ullswater Tourism Association ~ localised marketing and events promotion, working with accommodation providers and attractions around Ullswater
- Lake District Historic Houses & Gardens ~ themed marketing and joint promotion of Cumbria's rich heritage and historic gardens
- Nurture Eden - supporting businesses in and around the Eden Valley to develop a wide-ranging programme of low impact responsible tourism activity.
- Kendal Futures - working with local councils and businesses to support the ecomonic development of the town.
- Carlisle Tourism Partnership - an initiative to develop the visitor economy of the city.
- South Copeland Tourism Association - helping tourism businesses in the south of the county.